A physician who holds a degree of doctor of medicine, doctor of osteopathy, or equivalent medical degree as determined by the Executive Committee, who holds a valid and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States or Canada and who is, at the time of application, a Fellow in good standing of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, an Active member of the Canadian Orthopaedic Association, or the major national group representing the medical specialty of the proposed Active Member acceptable to the Executive Committee. Candidates for Active Membership shall have demonstrated a proven interest in and contribution to the field of shoulder or elbow surgery as demonstrated by the candidate’s educational background and scholarship, presentations at scientific meetings, publications, and medical practice.
Requirements of Membership:
Active Members must submit an abstract for presentation at the Annual Meeting at least once over each three (3) year period. Attendance is also required at at least one Annual Meeting over a three (3) year period. This requirement is waived after fifteen (15) years of being a member in good-standing. In addition, Active Members should review, if requested, for the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.
Criteria for Membership:
Recommended, but not required.
- Completed a fellowship in Shoulder Surgery, Elbow Surgery, Hand Surgery, and/or Sports Medicine;
- Peer-reviewed publication on Shoulder/Elbow topic published within the last ten (10) years (JSES, JBJS, CORR, AJSM, Arthroscopy, JArthroplasty, JOR, JOT, JHS, and JAAOS);
- Journal Review Articles, Case Reports, or Chapters on a Shoulder or Elbow topic published within the last ten (10) years;
- Regional Expert as evidenced by teaching or speaking at medical courses at the state/provincial or regional level on shoulder and/or elbow topics within the last ten (10) years;
- ASES Committee Involvment;
- JSES Reviewer;
- Paper presented or teaching at the ASES Open Meeting/Specialty Day, Biennial Shoulder/Elbow Meeting, International Shoulder Meeting, or AAOS, AOSSM, AANA, ISAKOS, OTA, JOT, JHS meeting, or ICA or OLC course within the last five (5) years (Shoulder/Elbow topic);
- Attendance at ASES Open Meeting/Specialty Day, Annual Meeting, and/or Biennial within the last 5 years;
- Other Considerations: Attributes that would be helpful for consideration, includes but not limited to: traveling fellowships, awards related to shoulder and elbow surgery, fellowship director, residency director, department chair, shoulder and elbow expert in underrepresented area.