The Morrey Award is a new award established in honor of Dr. Bernard Morrey who was one of the founding members of the ASES. The award was created to provide recognition for outstanding clinical or basic science investigations contributing to the understanding, care or prevention of injuries to the elbow.
The Morrey Award will be awarded each year to the best elbow (clinical or basic science) paper.
Authors of The Morrey Award manuscripts must submit directly to Steve Mlodoch (firstname.lastname@example.org), Membership & Committee Relations Manager by July 1st each year at 8pm PST for the current year’s ASES Annual Meeting. The manuscript should be formatted according to the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.
- Cover Letter with disclosure statements (see below)
- Title page with authors, affiliation, and corresponding author contact
- Blinded manuscript reporting original research
Submissions for Morrey Award are NOT automatically considered as part of the abstract submission process for the ASES Annual Meeting and the AAOS-ASES Specialty Day Meeting. Applicants must submit to these programs separately. In other words, you must submit an abstract separately if you would like your research to be considered for presentation at the ASES Annual Meeting in the event that it does not win a Research Award.
- It is strongly recommended that manuscripts report the results of high quality, high level of evidence, original research and only a single manuscript can be submitted for the clinical papers or basic science papers.
- Retrospective research and systematic reviews are typically not considered for the Award.
Cover Letter and Disclosure
Authors must include a brief cover letter with their manuscript. In this letter, authors must disclose any prior acceptance of their research for presentation or publication. This cover letter must be signed by all authors and include the following statement:
“I submit this paper for consideration of the Morrey Award. I affirm that the information contained in this submission fairly and accurately represents original work. I assume full responsibility for securing the necessary clearance and permission for possible publication and presentation from any contracting supervisory research agency holding presentation material copyrights. I understand that, if selected, I will receive the award at the time of an oral presentation of my work at the Annual Meeting of ASES or Specialty Day Meeting. I certify that this data has not been presented, published, or accepted for presentation or publication prior to the awards deadline unless disclosed above. I further certify that no portion of the data has been presented, published, or accepted for presentation or publication elsewhere unless disclosed above. I certify that, if selected, The Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery will have the first rights of publication, subject to its established editorial policies.”
- ASES recognizes that large and highly organized research organizations may submit multiple papers for The Morrey Award. While all submissions are encouraged, ASES discourages multiple submissions using substantially the same experimental design, and/or personnel expertise. Submission should be the BEST work, rather than each iteration of a large project.
- Only one submission per author per award will be permitted each year. An author may submit a Shoulder paper for The Neer Award and also an Elbow paper for The Morrey Award.
- No portion of the data presented in the manuscript can have been published or accepted for publication prior to the award submission deadline.
- Papers cannot have been presented or accepted for presentation at an ASES Annual Meeting or ASES Specialty Day prior to submission. If any portion of the submission has been presented or accepted for presentation elsewhere, the application must include a copy of the abstract of previously shared data with meeting date, location, and organization disclosed. All work must be original to be considered for an Award.
- At least one author on the submitted manuscript must be a member of ASES in good standing.
- Research must be carried out in academic or private practice centers. Studies carried out by or in industry centers will not be accepted for an award. No author may be an industry employee.
- The primary author of a manuscript selected for an Morrey Award will be expected to deliver a presentation at the ASES Annual Meeting. All papers presented at the Specialty Day and Annual Meeting of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons become the property of the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. Winning manuscripts require submission directly to the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery for consideration of publication. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery must decline publication of the manuscript before it can be submitted elsewhere.
Yousif Atwan, MD
Irfan Abdulla, MD, FRCSC
Ruby Grewal, MD, FRCSC
Kenneth J. Faber, MD, FRCSC
Graham J.W. King, MD, FRCSC
George S. Athwal, MD, FRCSC
Indomethacin for Heterotopic Ossification Prophylaxis Following Surgical Treatment of Elbow Trauma: A Randomized Controlled Trial